Translate

Friday, September 27, 2019

Love this song!

Those of you who follow my blog know that I've had a couple of highs (Hawaii) and lows (hurt my back) lately.  

This back problem was new to me. I have never had anything happen to my back (sure lower back sore sometimes - but never where the pain/spasms inhibited my ability to walk - or even get up from a sitting position). This scared me. I really hoped that I hadn't done serious injury. But what we become more aware of as we age is that things can happen in the blink of an eye.

So I used rest, heat, cold, and Tylenol for about 4 days and sure enough, it seems to have healed on its own. Must have been a strain or a sprain?  I knew I could get a Rx for muscle relaxants, but didn't want them if Tylenol would do the trick. It's been almost a week and now I'm walking fine (carefully, but fine). 

Since in the process of healing, I was using my mother's cane to help me get around, I saw this as just another shout in my face "Face it! You're old!" (Other things recently that I haven't mentioned have pushed me to this conclusion too) And of course the truth is I AM OLD! 74 is old. I know that. But most of the time I don't think about it - until something like this happens. 

However, it brought back memories of an old detective show on British TV that DH and I used to enjoy. It was called "New Tricks" (actually it was a detective show about old detectives)... and the theme song was very catchy.  The song was "It's Alright" by Dennis Waterman.  I googled it yesterday and DH and I were both laughing and singing along with it most of the day. Click on the title and see what you think...

Anyway, thanks for reading. And just for those who might be interested, I have started the sequel to "Time After Time" by D'Arcy Regan Hart (my Pen name). Finished the first 2 chapters today. But it may take a while...  hopefully not as long as it did for me to publish the first one, but we'll see.


Hugs,
Rian

Oh, and we have the first batch of Fall kittens coming by with their mom. She is black and has one black and 3 black & white babies. They look about 6-8 weeks old. So cute.


Another feral cat watching one of the box turtles in the back yard







22 comments:

  1. Dear Rian, congratulations are in order: 1) for taking care of yourself and using what was available and now having a back that is giving you no problems. that's great! and 2) for deciding to write a sequel to your wonderful novel and already having 2 chapters done. Way to go, Girl! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dee. I'm so very glad that my back seems to be healing and I appreciate so much all the caring thoughts and prayers that fellow bloggers sent. And since I couldn't do much else, I spent a bit of time thinking about the possibility of a sequel. Seems to be possible.

      Delete
  2. Oboy! Thanks for getting started on that sequel. I sure enjoyed the first book a lot. And I am so glad to hear your back is so much better already. Yay! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DJan. I love it that you enjoyed the first book!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I take it that you watched that series too, Joanne? And yes, it's a great song!

      Delete
  4. glad your back is doing much better; I have never heard of that show or song, at least not that I remember. I miss the turtles of Florida; I've only seen one turtle here, no two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've seen a ton of box turtles this spring and summer... both in the back (by the creek) and even in the front. They love the cat dry food. We had toads that liked it too when we lived in Satellite Beach and Melbourne, Florida.

      Delete
  5. So apt this post. I was thinking of doing a post on walking sticks. My knee gave out the other day walking down the stairs, good job I was holding on or I would have ended up down the bottom. This led me to wonder if I should use a stick as my back and hip could probably do with a hand lol. But, pride is getting in the way at the moment, silly I know but I wonder how many others feel the same way. Like you, I am 73 but don't feel it inside.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend broke her hip a few years ago and has had trouble with her leg, knee, ankle foot, etc. ever since. She uses a cane and walks very slowly. When I was using my mother's cane to just get around the house last weekend, I thought what a pair we would make going somewhere together. It would take us at least 15 minutes to get from the car to the store. So glad you didn't fall on those stairs. Do take care.

      Delete
  6. I didn't know. "Time After Time" by D'Arcy Regan Hart. I'll check it out on amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, your wife may enjoy it... not sure it's a man's thing - no blood and guts, battle scenes, etc. - just a new life in a small town after widowhood.

      Delete
  7. Never heard that song before. Really catchy tune and hope I haven't caught it as an ear worm.
    So glad your back is doing so much better. Yep it does take longer to heal as we age but you took all the right steps. You book is next on my to be read list. Congrats on jumping into the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patti. I appreciate that you have my book on your 'to be read' list. And to be honest, if it hadn't been for being laid up this week, I probably wouldn't have even considered a sequel. I have a list too - but it's a list of book ideas (some half written, some just notes) that I continuously add to. Probably most will never be written, or even if written - never published. But writing them and developing the ideas is great fun.

      Delete
  8. Glad the back is better. Funny how a sudden wrong twist we don't even notice at the time can lead to pain, but I am going to maintain that it's not old age. I am not a climate denier but I am an age denier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An age denier? Maybe we all are. I really don't think about it much... until something like this happens... or some unintentional words bring it to light (like using the term "young lady"). I know it is probably done with the best of intentions, but it still bothers me.

      Delete
  9. Good to hear your back is feeling some better. I've never heard the song before - it is fun.

    All the best in your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mae. My back is better... and I’m being careful as I really - really don’t want that to happen again!

      Delete
  10. I'm glad to read your back is better! I read a cute quote on Pinterest, something to the effect that being an adult is about being tired, regretting the plans you made and wondering how you hurt your back. :-)

    And congrats on starting on your second book, that's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. I hope your turkey found a ride if the bus won't stop for him. Perhaps he's trying to get away before Thanksgiving...

      Delete
  11. Sugar... you are not old. I would give anything to be 74 again. Oh, maybe I better rethink that. I was right in the midst of my husband's Alzheimers when I was 74 so I believe I will forget that. Sorry about your back. I can't imagine how debilitating that can be. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom had Alzheimer’s... so did both my aunts. It’s pretty awful. I’m so sorry you and your husband had to go through that...

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...