Translate

Saturday, October 9, 2021

haircut! quilt, and tiny snake...


haircut Oct 2021


OK, I finally did it! It's been almost 2 years since I've had a haircut and it was getting pretty long.  I have to say that it was easy to pull back into a ponytail every day, but I'm not sure that is good for your hair. Anyway, I bit the bullet and had it all cut off Friday. And it was good to see the gal that cuts my hair. She lives in the Hill Country of Texas, so only comes in to take appointments one week each month. I was lucky to catch her in last week.


*************************

Also I finished my pandemic quilt and am almost finished my Hawaiian one. This is a picture of the Hawaiian one. Bought the fabric right after we returned from visiting our son in Oahu... but hadn't gotten around to putting it together until now. Almost finished quilting it... then there's just the binding left to do.







Had to show you the backing... as it took me a while to find backing that reminded me of the ocean. This is what I chose.

****************************

That's about all I have today. DH and I did take a walk around the neighborhood Saturday morning. It's been in the 60's early in the day lately... so we walk before the temp starts climbing. We did find a tiny young snake (about 6 inches long) on the sidewalk. DH thought he was dead... but apparently he was just 'sunning' himself as when I touched him, he started wiggling. I picked him up and put him in the grass so he wouldn't dry up in the sun (but I'm not sure he appreciated the gesture - as he was flipping his little tail like the cats used to do when they were angry). 


*****************************


(oh,.. update on flu shot :
didn't even feel the nurse give it... 
and no sore arm!)


******************************

Life (and the pandemic)






Don't know why I'm posting more than usual lately, but perhaps I'm making up for the days I didn't... or for the days to come when I might not.

Hope you're having a good weekend!

Hugs (virtual),
Rian



 




24 comments:

  1. Your quilt is gorgeous - and the back is definitely oceanic.
    I am hanging out for a haircut when our lockdown is lifted - in perhaps another fortnight.
    The quote is true of the pandemic - and of life more generally. Should is a word that too many of us use to whip ourselves.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I've often thought that "should" is appropriate only for children and for our own personal selves... and not for other adults... since we seldom know what is going on in their lives and/or minds.

      Delete
  2. Cute haircut and I am sure you feel much better. I have had one since pandemic but need another one badly. You have inspired me.
    Got tickled about the snake flipping his tail like a cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That little snake was not happy with me moving him, but he was on the sidewalk and in the sun...

      Delete
  3. Lovely quilts. How will they be used? Are they gifts? When I used to do needlework or sewing and I looked at an old object, it certainly brought back the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hawaiian one pictured is a gift. The pandemic one (pictured in an earlier post) was just a way to use up fabric scraps. Don't know what I'll do with that one.

      Delete
  4. Rian I laughed at the little snake story too, I hope it knows you're kind with critters! Your haircut and Hawaiian quilt look great too. I was thinking of you yesterday when Tom's Sixty blog was talking about hobbies--I'm glad you responded to it, you're one of the craftiest people I know. :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dug, I'll take that as a compliment... crafty can have other meanings. But I know what you mean.

      Delete
  5. The quilt is lovely, as others have stated. Perfect for an ocean theme. :-)

    Hurrah for your haircut! I've had a few trims, but essentially have been letting it grow. I don't want to have a short bob again, so don't know what to do with it. When I feel comfortable, I'll go to a stylist (not my long-time one, I need a second, unbiased opinion) and see what they suggest.

    Our flu shots are not yet available, but I will be getting mine asap! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed having my hair long for a bit... but too much trouble to wash and dry. Glad to have it short again. Hope you find a style you like.
      And hope your flu shots are available soon!

      Delete
  6. Your haircut looks great! And the quilt is quite wonderful, too. I recently stepped on a garter snake that was sunning himself, but he scurried off quickly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DJan. I don't know about wonderful... but it does feel better. And I hope my little snake remained safe in the grass.

      Delete
  7. Dear Rian and Friends, it's been about 20 years since my last haircut - and having to deal with a curling iron 1st thing in the morning. Haven't missed going to the hair butcher, and their outrageous perm prices, for even two seconds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 20 years! And I was complaining about going without a haircut for 2... And yes, prices have certainly risen... but no curling irons, perms, or coloring for me.

      Delete
  8. Your little poster: Ain't that the truth!
    Love the haircut, ditto the quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, at some point we do have to let go...

      Delete
  9. your hair looks GREAT, i like short hair. mine is short, styled a little differently but i like yours.

    the backing for your quilt is really perfect, it is a beautiful fabric. i try to post something every day...when we were taking day and weekend trips it was easier!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that backing too... almost more than the front (ha!) and it does remind me of Hawaii.

      Delete
  10. Your selfie looks great. I've allowed my hair to grow as well and have decided to leave it that way at least for the time being.

    Love the quilt, the backing is perfect. Will you use it, or is it a gift for a lucky someone?

    Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quilt will be a gift for our son and his wife who showed us a wonderful time while visiting them on Oahu.

      Delete
  11. I've realised that life can only be lived one day at a time, wish I'd realised a long time ago.
    Love the colours of that quilt.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Briony, I too try to remember that...

      Delete
  12. Your hair cut looks really pretty. I'm tempted to do the same especially with this broken wrist. :( Your quilt is beautiful and I like the fabrics you picked for the backing; the colors certainly look like beautiful ocean colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Henny, I had to go back and see what I'd missed... when you mentioned your broken wrist here. Poor you... and poor Ellie. Who would have thought she'd run smack into you. Guess she expected you to catch her... like a kid. I've had my granddaughter do the same in an airport and luckily I didn't fall over (but almost did). Sending lots of hugs for healing to both of you.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...