Translate

Monday, October 4, 2021

a few thoughts about cooking...



(have felt this way only since the pandemic... and restaurants are a no go)


Thought I'd talk about cooking today. I like to cook. And I won't say that I'm a great cook... but I think I'm a fairly good cook. I can make all the normal dishes like beef and pork roasts and various chicken dishes. We eat a lot of chicken here. Some of our favorites are Chicken Tetrazzini and Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas. 

(my Chicken Tetrazzini does have white wine in it)

I do have my own way to do boneless pork chops which marinades them overnight in salt and sugar and then pounds them, seasons them, and pan fries for 4 mins per side, then take them out and add brown sugar, chopped garlic, and butter to the pan.... return chops to pan and cook in oven for another 10 mins. - result is tender garlicly buttery sweet pork chops!

We don't eat a lot of beef. But I do hamburgers on occasion... and Shepherd's pie, and of course meat balls and spaghetti. 

I'm the only one in the house that likes Salmon... so when I cook it (at least once a week) I cook the boys something else. And I cook it the way I ate it in Alaska... with butter, garlic, brown sugar, and honey - so good!

Stuffed artichokes are another favorite around here... and we (DH and I - not grandson) love most fresh veggies. Fresh steamed asparagus with a little salt, pepper, and brown butter is great... as is fresh Brussel sprouts with a little salt, pepper, brown butter, and bacon!

Grandson is 21 and although he loves most of my cooking, he isn't fond of asparagus, Brussell sprouts or broccoli. He will eat corn, green beans, and salads. Luckily he does like garlic as I use it a lot along with onions, celery, and bell peppers in my cooking... use a little kosher salt and fresh ground pepper too. 

And although I don't generally eat potato salad or chicken salad when out ... I do really like my own!

And I love cooking magazines and shows... if they're doing recipes that don't take beaucoup ingredients. If it's too complicated, I shut down.



My mom's 'called for' dish every Thanksgiving was Oyster pie. She made the most delicious oyster pie... and served it before the main course (Turkey, etc.). I think all of us wanted that oyster pie more than we wanted the turkey. It was so-oo good.

(if you are not aware, oyster pie, oyster patties, or oyster stuffing are commonly served at Thanksgiving in New Orleans).

Oh, on a semi-related subject... I never cooked at home growing up... never did much cleaning either (except maybe my own room).  So once married, I had to learn on my own. We never lived close to family after college - moved right from LSUBR to Florida and then on to Texas. So although I did have access to family recipes, I had to figure it out without help. I think the first thing I ever cooked after we were married was 'scrambled eggs' (and I still like scrambled eggs!)

Well, that's  probably enough about cooking. Do you have a favorite thing you like to cook or your family likes you to make? Or perhaps something another person makes that you just love?

 

Hugs (virtual),

Rian

(I love baking too... but that's a post for another day.)



14 comments:

  1. I am a vegetarian. My partner is not. There is a LOT of meal planning/preparation/cooking here - as neither of us will eat the other ones meals.
    He really likes the beef in red wine casserole I make for him (about the only red meat he eats).
    My mother told me that I couldn't be a vegetarian because I don't like brussel sprouts. She was wrong. And yes, we watch a number of cooking shows though we are very rarely inspired to make the dishes featured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I could easily be a vegetarian... and since I've been doing gluten free, I tend to make one meal for the boys and one for me. I do sneak in gluten free pasta and they don't seem to mind.

      Delete
  2. Since I've been dieting, I've been eating much more chicken than usual. It's such a good protein source and helps me from getting too hungry. I think of myself as a vegetarian anyway. I miss my mom's turkey hash that she made with the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. It was sooooo good! I'ved tried to make it but it's a poor substitute for hers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even try to make my mom's oyster pie. I'm sure it would never be the same... and this being Texas... can't imagine anyone would want it (except DH and myself of course).

      Delete
  3. I'm impressed. My cooking has gotten so uncreative these days. Maybe it is shopping by pick up that I have gotten so limited on choice. You made me realize I can really do better. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, I shop by pick up too since the pandemic. And I've found that I try more things this way than I did when actually going to the grocery. But you also can't pick up just a tablespoon or so of an herb. I have tried to say give me just 1/4 lb loose dried parsley or basil... and ended up with enough to dole out to neighborhood.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad it's almost time for dinner, this sure made me hungry reading all this! Rian, that meme at the top made me laugh out loud--because it's so true. In fact, I am giving a lot of serious thought to signing up with one of those weekly food subscriptions like Home Chef for 3 dinners a week. I'm a single guy who can't really cook and would love a little help & direction in the kitchen. PS I do know how to make salmon patties, I love them and it's been awhile so thank you for the inspiration. :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome for the inspiration. I've never made salmon patties (although I do like creole crab cakes)... don't make them though as crab meat is too expensive. But we do buy them at Central Market when they are on sale.

      Delete
  5. I've spent much of my life cooked for by others; it's been interesting to relearn cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, cooking can be fun... but to have someone cook for you on occasion is nice too.

      Delete
  6. Oh, that first meme says it all. When they were teenagers I'd ask the kids for help, but they'd just say whatever you want to make. I tend to pull meat out of the freezer the night before and whatever I grab becomes the base of the meal...that's the extent of my planning.

    My son's favorite meal is homemade mac & cheese with hot Italian sausage. Not a veg to be seen. Neither of us are huge meat eaters, for example one chicken breast will feed both of us, and we'll each have a single pork chop. We both like taco salads and like your grandson, he'll eat certain veg...though he does like grilled asparagus.

    I try different recipes occasionally with mixed success. I think I will try your garlicky, buttery pork chops, they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DH wakes up with "what's for supper?" on his mind... and frequently on his tongue. I generally don't know unless we have left-overs from the night before. By mid morning I take out something and start putting it together by about 4. We tend to have pizza or hamburgers on Fri and Sat.... and possibly a beef or pork roast on Sunday. The rest of the week we play it by ear. Sometimes if we're running around or busy one day, I'll heat up Stouffer's frozen Meaty Lasagna for the boys and make me a scrambled egg.

      Delete
  7. awwww, meals, dinner...the hubs and i talk a lot about whats for dinner!! getting home chef meals helps a lot, but even then it's which one should we make. decisions, decisions....the first meme is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried one of those services once... and it was good... everything was very fresh and easy. And I think my daughter used one for a while also - and with her and her hubby working long hours, it worked out well for them. Now sometimes she comes home so tired that she just picks up a cooked meal on the way home.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...