Translate

Friday, June 30, 2023

if our walls could talk...


This is an old post that I started writing a while back and never got back to it. Thought I'd post it today since this week and the next 2 will probably be busy. Daughter is coming into town and both my and DH's 78th birthdays are coming up in July. 


I imagine that each of us hang things on our walls that mean something to us. So, each of our homes would be different and reflect our own life choices, interests, or fantasies.  

Our abodes are an indication of our selves. Some are perfection, some are themed, some are eclectic. Mine seem to fall into the latter. I want clean, but liked the lived-in comfortable look... so a little clutter here and there is OK (actually a little dust is OK too). 

My walls and shelves have mostly family pics, tons of books, and pieces we've picked up while traveling or pottery pieces I've made/ships DH has built. 

We do have more 'art' (not expensive art, but still art) on our walls than I thought. There's 3 detailed renderings of ship building in the den, several framed cross-stitch pieces (made by DIL and a dear friend) here and there, maps of the US and the world in the office, and a print of an old English Stable horse behind our bed. 

Oh, and there's a bird print in the entry and this 'copy' of a oil painting done by Winslow Homer in the front room. Both of these  were my parent's and passed down to me. 






We bought this ship painting back in 1968 from a local artist right after we were married and had moved to Florida. It's been on the wall in every house we've lived in.

And I almost forgot DH's puzzles which he framed and we use upstairs in the guest room... all ship related. 

I like to see what the outside and inside of my blogger friend's houses look like... gives me more insight into they're personalities.  I've seen some and they're really lovely (our house is definitely not grand, but an average type home built in 1985). Some don't live in houses, but apartments or condos. Those are interesting too since I've never lived in those.

Oh, that's not true. When DH and I were first married and still in college, we lived for one semester in the married student apartments on campus. Then when he got his first job and we moved to Florida, we lived in an upstairs apartment close to the beach. I'd forgotten about that (55 years ago... maybe that's why).

I have 2 maps in our computer room (office - used to be our daughter's bedroom). One is a map of the world and one is a map of the U.S. On these maps I have pins stuck where my blogger friends live and also circles where I've traveled (states as well as countries).  We haven't traveled a lot... only been to 10 states (not counting the ones we pass through to get there) as well as Mexico, Alaska, Hawaii, England, Ireland, France (only Paris and only for a weekend), and Canada (briefly in Vancouver). 

Going to close this with a few pics of where I sit in the morning to have my coffee... and where DH sits. I used to sit in the den when I watched the news in the morning... but no longer do that. Now I sit in the living room (see my feet in the pic). 


see my feet? 


close up of my view...
I can see the people walking their dogs outside from these windows

and...


...and I can see DH having his coffee watching the news 
in what used to be a dining room but
  is now a TV/game room for grandkids

I would prefer to sit outside in the morning and drink my coffee, but we don't have a front porch... just a small entry porch. But extending it all the way across the front is on my 'wish' list... however, it is not a priority.

So, I guess I'll close this here. I'm in the process of cooking a roast and baking banana nut bread this morning.  

Update: The new 'Siamese' kitten is making himself known by showing up to eat on the back porch without his mama. He's a hungry little thing. I expect his mama may be leaving him more  these days... so he's out and about on his own. Will post some videos of him next time.

It's Friday! Have a fun weekend... and stay out of the heat! We were in triple digits all week, but finally back in the 90's today.


Hugs (virtual),

Rian

(Reminder: Tomorrow is July 1st! "Rabbit! Rabbit! White Rabbit!")

17 comments:

  1. I actually remembered to say white rabbit here this morning.
    Love this glimpse of your home - which looks comfortable and welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice home! Thanks for the little glipse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what it's all about, isn't it, Joanne? Blogging... a 'glimpse' into someone else's life.

      Delete
  3. This was very nice Rian, I love that grandfather clock in the final photo! I like that large ship painting too. Your home looks strong but very comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dug. It is comfortable... getting a bit old... needing maintenance here and there, but comfortable. Funny you mentioned the grandfather clock. It was the first thing we bought when our so called 'ship came in' years ago and DH got some stock options. We were finally able to buy something we didn't need, but both wanted.

      Delete
  4. Nice assortment of wall treatments. Remember to give kitten some water too. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DM. There's 2 large bowls of water out back and another on the front porch.

      Delete
  5. I, too, love a glimpse into people's homes. I like your view, and all the sunshine streaming in. That's something I lack on the main level of my townhouse, as I face north. If you peeked into my house you'd see a lot of nature and floral canvases and prints, and a lot of critter art cards, framed and on picture ledges (owls, cats, etc.). Nothing of monetary value, but of value to me, to nourish my soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, we face east so yes, we do get the sun streaming in through the windows in the morning. It makes for some interesting pictures. But it can also be harsh at times and I have to pull the shades down (glare can give me a migraine). And yes, filling your space with things that mean something to you does nourish your soul.

      Delete
  6. i really like maps, there is something so nostalgic and comforting about them. (that sounds weird). i like seeing inside your home, it is exactly what i would expect. i can't wait to share my rooms, updated, but my couch has yet to arrive and i would like to wait until it is all done!!

    happy birthday to both you and the husband. you are going to be busy...and yes, i saw your feet. i have a spot too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand about maps, Debbie... not weird or maybe my kind of weird. Besides the ones in the computer room, we have a huge old world puzzle map on the wall upstairs.
      And do share your new updated rooms... can't wait to see. You have a beautiful home.. the kind that could go into a designer magazine.

      Delete
  7. I sure like seeing your nice home, Rian. And DH looks like he has cat ears in that photo! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DJan. And I had to go back and look at that photo of DH. You are right... he has cat ears (fits him).

      Delete
  8. You have a lovely home filled with the items that are memorable and interesting to you and your DH. That's wonderful.
    Enjoy your time with family and the upcoming celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, it is definitely 'filled' with memorable items... time to start passing them on to the younger generation (if they want them). We'll see.

      Delete
  9. It is fascinating to see inner sanctuaries of various people and get a sense of who they are on a more intimate level and what their preferred aesthetic is. I confess that during Pandemic, one of my new interests was looking at the Rooms of everyone on TV that was streaming from Home. People we've seen on TV for a long time, finally we got to see at least the Room they had their Computers in and critique the Decorating and backdrop they chose to reveal. You have a very Inviting Home. I probably have way too much on my Walls, but I Love every piece that has placement there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting to see the inside of homes with the newspeople, etc. during the pandemic since they were filming from home. I enjoyed that too. As for having too much on your walls - if it pleases you, than that's how it should be. Our home is very eclectic and I like it that way. Everything does not have to match... makes it more interesting (IMO).

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...