Translate

Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Officially 'old'...




Well, we did it. Yesterday DH and I joined the local Senior Citizen Center. The reason we thought it was time is because the temps been in the triple digits all week and it's way too hot to walk the neighborhood. Yes, we could go to the mall - and do at least once a week - but needed another diversion. 

This way we have access to their gym and other amenities (like lunch for under $5). Of course they have activities too - like cards and games, a pool table, table tennis, dances, etc. - but to be honest, we're not really into those things. They do have knitting and crochet times - but they're like at 9am... and I'm barely functional until 10 (didn't used to be that way, but at approaching 78 in a few weeks, that's how it is now). Anyway, we signed up, so we'll see how that goes.




And you don't really have to be 'old'... as anyone 50 and over can join. It's taken us 28 years to bite the bullet. Actually, we thought about doing it in 2019. We stopped by and checked it out then... but  the pandemic hit a few months later and everything closed down. 

The place is really nice, huge and very modern looking. It's built like a large square with an open patio and garden in the middle. There's also a lounge and a library - as well as a Wellness Center. I think it was a good idea to join, but I guess only time will tell. 


And 2 more pics that I found on Pinterest that I liked: 






all grandmas should play video games
(and I do - with granddaughter)


Hugs (virtual),

Rian

(Sad note: lost one of the kittens Sunday night to either a coyote or bobcat. Neighbor said she saw bobcat in the area...)



 

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations Rian, it sounds very nice! I wish my Center was a little more modern like yours, but I suppose Beggars can't be choosers. In fact, I was just about to write something about my own. I'm still wrestling with it to be honest. The minimum age for mine is 60, and I'm almost 62, but I still feel a little guilty going there even though they always make me feel very welcome. I hope you have some stories to share soon! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know why you would feel guilty, Dug? All ages make it more enjoyable. And we'll see about those stories... ; )

      Delete
  2. The worst part of being old is that your mind tells you are not. I feel really energetic in my mind and it tricks me into thinking I can just get out of the chair and get on with things. Wrong, my arthritis kicks in as soon as I stand up and it's all out of the window.
    Still I try to be grateful that I still have my eyesight and my hands for crafting but sometimes it's hard to accept it all isn't it?
    Hugs
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to accept sometimes, Briony... but accept it we must. And yes, be grateful that we've come this far and like the saying goes, "Don't cry because it's over (though I'm sure we will and do cry), but smile because it happened.

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear about the kitten. Our Senior Center is also pretty wonderful, and I am using it more and more. Right now I hike twice a week with two of their group, attend a weekly yoga class, and enjoy a Zumba Gold class as well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were upset about the kitten... but it's nature's way (or so I try to tell myself). Glad you are enjoying your Senior Center. I will post more when we actually start using ours. But I doubt that we will be as active as you are - the gym and lunch is more our scene. However, you never know.

      Delete
  4. Have fun. A lunch at that price is really good value.
    I am sorry to hear about the loss of one of the kittens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, EC. Of course we haven't eaten there yet... but it's hard to go to breakfast or lunch anywhere today and not spend $20 - $30.

      Delete
  5. I left work in my early 50's to care for my dad who suffered a stroke. When he passed, I started going to the senior center for lunch with my "older" friends. Since I was so young, I had to pay $6. They only paid $5, lol. I wanted to sign up for one of the craft classes. I asked if there was an age limit. At our senior center you have to be over 18 to participate in activities. It did not make me feel better. I still expect to see much older people than me. Now I am, gasp, 67 but I truly feel that has to be incorrect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Senior Center membership is open to anyone 50 and over. I think the price is $15 a year if you are a resident of the community and $25 a year if you aren't.

      Delete
  6. That's such a shame about the kitten. Sadly, most ferals don't live long lives.
    I haven't looked into joining our Seniors centre, as it would mean a trip downtown. I did look at their activities and most of them are like those you and DH aren't interested in: card playing, dances, and such. I do belong to a stitch and chat group who are mostly seniors.
    Now a meal for $5 or less sounds terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. The life of ferals isn't always long... although we have had some around for more than 10 years. And there are some knitting/crocheting stores around that offer classes or just get-togethers for this. I have thought about joining one, but haven't yet. Haven't even gone back to the pottery studio... yet. The Senior Center (which by the way, is close by) is probably our first step in socializing since the pandemic.

      Delete
  7. Well, you might get a blog post about the Center activities. After my husband died (2013) a recently divorced acquaintance told me to dye my hair red and she would take me to the Senior Center in FL to meet men. I didn't know exactly why I had to have red hair to do that but I gave the whole idea a pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty funny, Olga... but I believe it and I'm sure that goes on. However, DH and I didn't have that in mind. Dye your hair red, huh?

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...