Translate

Friday, June 16, 2023

Funny, but not so funny story...




I'm not sure if Red Lobster's Crab Fest is something people are familiar with, but even though I've never gone, I've heard that it was really good. So, a while back 2019 (pre-pandemic times), I used some of my reward points to get 2 Red Lobster gift cards  to use the next time Crab Fest came around. Well, of course we didn't go during the pandemic (don't even know if Red Lobster was open then). But this year (this week) when they advertised CrabFest, I thought, "Great! We finally get to go."  

Well, turns out that I can no longer find where I put the darn Gift cards! I thought they were always in the same place, but apparently not. So... no Red Lobster for us. We did end up sharing some chicken nachos at Chuy's instead. I will continue to look for those cards. They are around here somewhere.

Also, we just finished watching the 15th season of "Heartland". I have to say that I love this series. It's like a good book that you can't wait to get back to. There's supposed to be a 16th season, but it won't be around until 2024 (or that's what I heard). I may just have to start the series over... it's that good.

But our daughter put us on to another series that although a bit different, (still family oriented) is pretty good. It's called "This is us" and I do like it. I'm not sure how many seasons it has... maybe 6.

I don't know about you, but so much on TV today seems stupid, or violent, or just plain sad. I'm not into reality shows (unless it's cooking - enjoy Paul Hollywood's shows). These 2 shows (Heartland and This is Us) although not without some sad times, are basically uplifting and show how although all family members don't always get along, they generally pull together when necessary. Maybe this is naive, but comforting.

On another note, my high school (class of '63) in New Orleans just had it's 60th reunion this past week. No, I didn't go. My best friend who lives here went (and tried to get me to go with her). But no, out of a class of about 200, the 5-6 people that meant anything to me - she was the only one I knew that was going. But she did send me some pics taken at the events... after 60 years, there was only one person that I recognized. Maybe I should have gone. I certainly do need to go back and visit family, but the reunion somehow didn't seem the time.


old pic I found of me from 1963 (18)

old pic of me from 2018 (73)


...and now for some great pics of the beach from family members who are right now enjoying a vacation at Gulf Shores:


waves on the beach - son said no swimming
as rip tides were bad


beach at Gulf Shores


granddaughter and gator

Yes, she's holding a gator. She is fearless. But again, when we were growing up in Louisiana, it was normal to own a baby or young alligator.  Back then it was legal to buy the young ones at the beach in Gulfport or Biloxi. Our neighbors had one in their backyard for years. It got loose in the neighborhood once - this 5 ft gator!  We thought it was funny... and luckily did no harm.

Guess this is enough rambling for the moment. Wishing all you fathers out there a Happy Father's Day this Sunday!

Hugs (virtual),
Rian


24 comments:

  1. I still like the Waltons! Beautiful pics at any age. Don't need pet alligators in Kansas. My '72 grad class in OKC was over 1,000. I haven't attend any reunions, but we did organize ourselves into a Band Kid reunion in '85, with the old band director. That was fun! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our group from college (LSUBR) did get together in Baton Rouge for a reunion in the 80's. That was fun. Most of us were married and had young kids by then.

      Delete
  2. I haven't been to any of our reunions. My school days were not my happiest time.
    Love the photos of you - and I suspect that you would be recognised easily by your classmates.
    It is too long since I have been to a beach. Wimp that I am I doubt that I would cuddle a gator.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too long since I've been to a beach too. Last time was in Oahu visiting our son in 2019. Lava beaches there are great! Hope to get to the Gulf Coast this summer. We'll see.

      Delete
  3. thanks for the heads up on those two programmes, I shall give the a look. I agree that there is nothing worth watching on the tv. I generally watch stuff on you tube, some good stuff on there is you poke about.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Briony, "Heartland" is great (on Netflix). "This is Us" (on Hulu) can get a little sad... And I enjoy watching the Cooking shows - with Paul Hollywood.

      Delete
  4. Rian, I'm sorry about those Red Lobster cards I hope they turn up! As for TV, I agree with you completely. All I see are dumb reality shows and gameshows, I stream a show on Paramount Plus I think you'd like called Joe Pickett about a game warden and his family. And finally, I really liked seeing your graduation photo and your granddaughter with that little alligator! Time sure flies doesn't it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check out Joe Pickett. It does sound like something I'd like (family shows). When I was young, "Father Knows Best" was one of my favorites... and westerns like "Roy Rogers", etc. And yes, time flies. It makes me think of that song, "Don't Blink!"

      Delete
  5. I love the pics of you--I, too, think you would be easily recognizable. I came home from Dad's with some old family photos, one of my kindergarten class, and I recognized only a couple of the kids, it's been so long. I know I wouldn't recognize any of them if I fell over them. (I went through most of my schooling with the same group, it was such a small town.)

    The beach looks lovely, and best of all, not packed with people, at least not shown. Your granddaughter IS fearless! Wow! I guess if you grow up with them, it's just normal.

    We have a Red Lobster here, and though I've not had their Crab Fest, I'm familiar with their menu. Good luck finding the gift cards.

    As for TV, right now I'm hooked on the British Antiques Roadshow, which airs Monday through Friday at news time (for me) on BBC First. I watch it rather than the depressing media coverage. Otherwise I usually look for a "cosy" mystery movie or Frasier reruns (still love that show, all these years later). Failing that, I just tune in to quiet jazz and curl up with a book in the evenings. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Kim, that the beach looks great (and not packed with people). I've never been to Gulf Shores, but it's close to Pensacola and Destin, Florida... and my dad brought us there in the summers when I was young.
      We used to go out to eat boiled crabs on Fridays growing up... always at a restaurant called Fitzgeralds on the water in New Orleans. I miss that. Red Lobster's crabfest reminds me of that.
      And we hardly ever watch the news anymore... especially now that it's getting more political lately. As soon as they start talking politics, I turn it off. And I like cozy mysteries too.

      Delete
  6. My graduating class was so small that we no longer have reunions. I really do not know how I feel about that. My high school best friend still lives within a hundred miles of our home town and we chat on Facebook sometimes. I do like uplifting shows, but can also handle tragedy and drama. But cannot watch more than one of those demanding TV series at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabor, I find that what I watch seems to affect my dreams... so I tend to stick to light subjects. If there's something heavier that I really want to see, I will watch it during the day.... not right before bed.

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos of you, and I too, think you would be easily recognized by your former classmates. I went to our 10th, but none since then. We're a few years shy of our 50th!
    Your granddaughter is far braver than I would ever be. The photos of the beach are enticing.
    Good luck on your hunt for the gift cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a brave little thing... even takes Taekwrondo and has her blue belt (she also wears glasses and hearing aids - so sometimes I think she is compensating).

      Delete
  8. I will also check out Heartland, it sounds right up my alley. I watched This is Us for several seasons but got out of the habit somehow and seem to have plenty other things to enjoy. I didn't ever attend a high school reunion and now I never hear about them any more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, I think you would like "Heartland". I love it as it not only is family oriented - but has a lot to do with horses and Veterinary medicine (both my favorite interests). The people on it are so 'like-able'... that now I'm missing them. May have to start the season over.
      "This is Us is good"... but can be a bit depressing at times. Characters are not as like-able (IMO), but a good story line.

      Delete
  9. I watched This Is Us as it evolved -- one of those shows I looked forward to seeing week to week. That doesn't even happen anymore. I cannot get into any kind of reality show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Olga, we don't do reality shows either... except for "The Great British Bake-off" and the spin-offs of that. We really like Paul Hollywood and the show is not only educational (makes me want to try some of their recipes), but funny. It's light and not extremely competitive.

      Delete
  10. I have been watching a streaming channel called "Tubi". Right now I am watching two reality series, one is about Portrait Painting and one is Landscape Painting. All the judges and contestants are so nice to each other and they are all respectful of each others talents.
    One year I lost all the gift cards we received for Christmas. Did you guess? I found them a year later in with the Christmas ornaments. Now we have a special box in my husband's dresser drawer for gift cards. He always remembers to keep his there. Sometimes I do too . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to try those shows. Don't generally like reality shows, but if the people are nice and not too competitive, they can be funny and enjoyable (like the Great British Bake-off).
      So glad I'm not the only one losing Gift Cards. I know they will show up eventually. Not too worried about it... just frustrated that I can't remember what I did with them. My good friend did the same thing with her mother's jewelry and it's been over a year and so far she can't find where she put it. THAT would be worrisome.

      Delete
  11. Never been to my high school reunion, never will. Like you, only had a couple of friends and I keep in touch with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. I think possibly it means more to those who had a small graduating class and knew everyone?

      Delete
  12. we have a red lobster not too far away, we eat there very occasionally, their snow crab legs are so good!! i went to my first, 10 year, high school reunion and did not enjoy it, never went to another one!! we had 1000 in our graduating class and were on split sessions!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard their snow crab legs were good too, Debbie. They are on my 'try' list if we ever get there. As for the reunion, I don't regret missing it. I'm in touch with the ones from high school that I'm close to... and that's enough (except for maybe a morbid curiousity to see how the others aged???)

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...