Translate

Thursday, June 1, 2023

Summer is upon us...



Summer is here. School is out. Thinking of things to do with granddaughter 2 days a week: teach her to cook, work with clay, drawing classes, games, walks, etc.  Need to find ways to discuss thoughts and ideas, share beliefs and experiences.

This week first we had her learn to make pancakes (which DH was happy to eat), then we walked the mall - (that child can talk non-stop). Then we went to Chic-Fil- A for lunch, grocery shopped, ice-cream, and then TV and video games until 4.  I think my Amazwatch said 8,000 steps! (way beyond my usual 2000). Was I tired? Yes, but it was a good tired.




Something else we did this week was buy a new mattress. Our old one was about 30 years old... it was a Serta coil (firm) and really still looked like new (except for a few indentures on DH's side - he is 6 ft and about 220 - so that's expected after all those years). But it's unbelievable at all the options you have when buying a mattress these days. There's coils, memory foam, hybrid, sleep number, adjustable, water, etc. There are even 'cooling' mattresses and mattresses that vibrate.  


We ended up with a basic adjustable coiled mattress (firm) with comfort top . The last one worked and held up well and DH does not like foam. At the last minute we got the split-king mattresses in order for me to raise the head (which I used to do with 5 pillows, but now can do automatically with the push of a button). 

And we discovered another advantage to the split- king  -  you don't notice it when your partner moves around during the night or gets out of bed - as you did when you shared one mattress. Since we both get out of bed at least 3 x during the night, it's a definite advantage.  (Now the disadvantage is getting those split-king fitted sheets on!)

And one more new change this week, we finally got a cleaning service to come in and do a thorough clean of our 3 bathrooms once a month. As we've aged, DH and I have struggled to keep cleaning our house on our own, but now at 78 (or will be next month), we can do the dusting, vacuuming, mopping, etc. still - but with our backs occasionally acting up, can't get down to clean showers and tubs well. So we finally bit the bullet and called a service that sent out the nicest woman who did all three bathrooms thoroughly in 2 hours.



 

So... life goes on... day to day... and although not particularly exciting, good non-the-less. My tomatoes are getting bigger, but no cucumbers so far. We're in the 90's today and will probably continue so. Our Texas summer is upon us. I hope you are enjoying the beginning of summer in your part of the world. Please blog about it if you want to share. I'd love to know how the summer is treating you. 


Hugs (virtual),

Rian

Funny note: I wish I had got it on video so I could have showed you, but of course I didn't...   One of the box turtles that inhabit our yard came by to feed off the dry cat food on the back porch... and the mama cat had her 5 kittens out on the porch with her. The kittens saw the turtle and went over to inspect him (or her). But as the turtle walked away into the grass, the kittens followed in a line behind. It was funny. Looked like a little parade!

and

 Yes! I forgot to say "Rabbit Rabbit! White Rabbit! this morning!

18 comments:

  1. I suspect good exhausted was a better description of how you felt after your day. Love that you are enjoying it.
    I really, really would like a cleaner. We can, after a fashion, do it all but not on the same day. Some day I would like all of the house to be clean and tidy at once. I will continue to work on my partner.
    I would have LOVED to see the turtle and the kittens.
    It is winter here rather than summer - and I am enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, EC, that even with only the bathrooms thoroughly cleaned (the rest is clean, but certainly not thoroughly), it feels great! And no, we can't do all of it on the same day either. Generally takes 3-4 days - and that's normal stuff, not baseboards or ceiling fans, etc.

      Delete
  2. Hooray for new fancy mattresses! Hope the little kitties don't get bit by the Pied Piper turtle. Too humid in KC, but got up at 6a to put in some hopeful plants in my garden that doesn't want to grow anything. The birdies were cheering me on that early! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, turtle just moseys along... kittens didn't faze him. Good luck with the plants!

      Delete
  3. Entertaining a 15 yo for the summer will be a challenge. They do move and talk nonstop. It will be a good time for both of you.
    PS--the visual of the turtle is wonderful. White Rabbit to you, too, at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granddaughter is 10 (thinks she's 15)... and she definitely moves and talks non-stop. And yes, it is good for both of us. I never knew my grandparents and feel lucky to have this relationship.

      Delete
  4. Rian every time you talk about your granddaughter you make me laugh! I bet she's super smart :^) Well, good for you for hiring the cleaning service, and the mattress stuff makes me nervous as I need a new one too--but I appreciate you sharing all that. And finally, I had a real chuckle over the kittens following that turtle like in a little parade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granddaughter is a hoot! She loves to do pranks. Brought over a huge windup roach once and put it on the floor in my kitchen. I almost called 'Animal Control' - before I realized it was fake. As for the mattress, we did good as we are both sleeping better this week.

      Delete
  5. It was 90 here today also. Too hot for June 1st in southern Indiana. More tomorrow. Hope this isn't the start of a really hot dry summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read somewhere that El Nino should make our summer wetter - but not sure how that affects Northern areas. Personally I think our summers have been getting hotter each year (or it could just be me).

      Delete
  6. Yes, that was a great story about the turtle and the entourage. I love your posts, Rian. I always feel better after visiting your universe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have got that on video, DJan. It was really cute.

      Delete
  7. Your granddaughter is going to have a marvelous summer. I think most young children have the ability to talk one's ears off.
    I can picture the cat parade behind the turtle - it would have been fun to see in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess maybe most young children talk a lot. I didn't. My uncle said he didn't know I could talk until I went to college. As for the turtle/kitty parade, it was adorable. DH and I watched from the kitchen window and laughed.

      Delete
  8. I have been thinking about a cleaning person for the bathroom and also the kitchen floor. I think what is holding me back is what they will think of the condition it is in, lol. It is a lot and it is so hard for me to get up and down. I think you had a great idea! We have grandchildren in the summers, too. It does wear me out! I bought some water shooters at the dollar tree and we fill a rubbermaid container with water for them to reload and shoot. Since I have an army of little boys, it can keep them occupied for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree... and trying to get up and down to clean the tubs and showers has gotten difficult for us too...main reason we got the service. As for the grandchildren in the summer, it does wear you out, but builds a good rapport.

      Delete
  9. I already know you are the best grandma ever. And I like firm mattresses too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay. We love our new firm split-king comfort top mattress. It is so-ooo comfortable.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...