Translate

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

a bit of comfort...



peach pecan dump cake

With all that's going on in the world... I thought we needed a little 'comfort food'  -  so I made an old favorite from years ago - a peach pecan dump cake! DH and my grandson approved and ate it while it was still warm from the oven today. 

I won't say there's not a lot going on as there is... what with politics, Corona virus, weather-related catastrophes, and some personal medical concerns. But it does no good to dwell on these things (as everyone knows). I think each of us has to deal with life in our own way. As the saying goes, "It is what it is... " (and we can handle it)... at least this is what I've always told myself.

I don't dare try to predict the future results from the Primaries. I can only hope ("Hope springs eternal within the human breast"... Alexander Pope) and pray.

As for the Corona virus... as much as we refuse to panic or worry about the possible implications, I find they prey on our brains subconsciously.  Almost all of us have family or friends in areas that are already affected. We haven't bought masks or hoarded supplies. But we do try to avoid large gatherings, wash our hands constantly, and be basically cautious.

There is not much anyone can do about weather related catastrophes except pray for those affected, give donations, or physically help if possible. And personal medical concerns require choices and follow through... which sometimes drain us emotionally and physically (although we try not to admit it).

But when it comes down to it, despite it all,  how can we not be grateful for the years we've been given? DH and I will be 75 this year and have been married for 52 years. Life's had its ups and downs, but all in all, it's been a good life. Our daughter tells me that she doesn't think of us as 'old'... and I suppose that's good, but truth be told, we ARE old. 

And we miss Tux and Julie... that's for sure.  Ghost does too. She's still a little bewildered at being the only cat in the house. 

Guess I'm rambling now so I'd better close.  Thanks for visiting and I pray you and yours stay well.





Our cats... a few years ago






20 comments:

  1. it must be hard for your cat without her buddies; and doubly sad for you and your family; we thought about getting Bonkers a friend but he is bonded to us and we feel that is better at our age because we worry who would take them if we're gone; there is much to worry about that is for sure; I worry because my lungs are not as good as they used to be after I had the flu in California, so we have masks and gloves and stocked up on food; we don't go out to public spaces and don't go out to eat; we shop in the early morning and wash our hands often; hopefully the warm weather will bring an end to this virus; I hope so. Hang in there - sounds silly, as what can we do but I hear you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Linda... we must 'hang in there'. And we feel the same about getting another cat. Can't get a kitten as they would outlive us and older cats tend to have problems just like older people... and I'm not up to going through that again. Ghost will adjust.
      Take care and stay well!

      Delete
  2. A bit of comfort is just what we need. I am so weary of politics and plumbing problems and COVID-19.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little comfort is always helpful. And as for the other, weary to the bone about it all.

      Delete
  3. I miss your kitties vicariously, too. And it sure looks like my favored candidate, Warren, is not going to make it. Two old men to choose between. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but at least the field has narrowed. I figured it would end up between Biden and Bernie...

      Delete
  4. We must stay optimistic as well as prepared. That is what Sanjay Gupta said on TV today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really trying times and we need all the comfort we can find. Hope Ghost will learn to enjoy some of the perks of being an only cat and not morn her buddies too much. For you, hoping time will help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all for comfort right now. Life is short. Ghost likes comfort too... as she will sit on the floor by DH's arm chair and stare at him until he gives it over to her...

      Delete
  6. I like Patti's phrasing, these are trying times. No one is immune from the world's issues, and American politics have had a significant impact here in Canada too. We have several politicians who have looked south for the way forward and that has had serious repercussions.

    I hope Ghost learns there are good things about being the only cat. More lap time and cuddles and no sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'no sharing' part has Ghost baffled. She is not a 'lap' cat as Tux and Julie were, but she will sit 'by' you.

      Delete
  7. A peach dump cake is a great treat. Pecans never occurred to me. I love pecans. That towel looks mighty nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pecans too! And I agree the towel looks great... (and I plan to order some blue/denim ones eventually).

      Delete
  8. Like Garth Brooks (At least I think it's his song) "I'm too young to be old".

    For you, DH, and kitty...you have it all. That's the way I look at it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great way to look at it. Attitude is so important, Annie. And I love your pictures and posts... even though I don't comment a lot. Wish I lived where I could do that... (do miss being around the water since we moved to Texas from Louisiana).

      Delete
  9. WoW!! 52 years of marriage, that's wonderful, my husband and i are going to be married 42 in june!!

    the cake looks so good, i love dump cakes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. 42 years is pretty great too. And the dump cake was delicious!

      Delete
  10. Rian, It was awesome reading your post!! I understand its not always great going. Who knows what will happen to us in future; but still we have to move on. Cheer up, Rian!! The comfort cake looked awesome. Please take care of your health as that is only the choice we have. Keep sharing your thoughts, dear!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. And yes - it’s breathe in, breathe out, move on...

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...