Translate

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

my new 'ears'...


my hearing aids - look something like this 


Just a short preliminary update on my new 'ears'. Went for my  appointment to have my ears and hearing checked yesterday. 

I had had my hearing checked at an ENT's office about 5 years ago. This was after a car accident that left me with ringing ears. I wasn't sure if this ringing was a result of the collision or the impact of the air bags or what. But I was told that my ears weren't damaged.

However, it was noticed that I did have some hearing loss at the time. Since I didn't notice this myself, I decided to wait... hoping maybe Medicare would eventually pay for part (it still doesn't).  But having been told recently by family and friends that I needed to do something about my hearing... and having read that hearing loss could lead to dementia, I decided to act.

So, after about 2 hours of testing, assessing, talking, and looking at results, I was given my first ever hearing aids. Then retested as they were synced with both me and my iPhone to make sure they were comfortable. 

One of the questions before the testing was whether I noticed hearing loss in one ear over the other. I hadn't. But after testing, it was obvious to me that my left ear had more loss than my right. Also that part of my problem was not so much volume but clarity. All of this could be helped with the proper tuning/syncing of the hearing aids.

After inserting the aids, she worked on volume and clarity and then had DH stand outside the room (and not facing me) and ask questions. I heard him perfectly. The only thing was that my own voice sounded strange... like it was coming through a microphone... amplified. She worked on that too. Finally got it to a level where it still sounds a little strange, but acceptable... and I was told that if I wear them everyday, my body/brain will adjust and this will no longer be noticeable.  We'll see. 

I wore the hearing aids home and first thing I did notice was when I got out of the car and crossed the lawn full of leaves was that the crunching of the leaves was so loud. Who knew that leaves could be loud?

Anyway, this is just my first report. I will update as the days go by. Hope this isn't too boring or TMI.  But I wanted to record this experience.

Thanks for letting me share this with you... and if you are interested, I will continue to do so, but if not, that's fine too. I understand. 


Hugs (virtual),

Rian


25 comments:

  1. I hope they continue to work well for you. I've lost hearing since COVID last year, more of a tinnitus which I read can be a common after effect. I don't understand why Medicare won't pay for hearing aids, yet if you happen to get run over by a bus, because you didn't hear it coming, then they will pay for your hospitalization......go figure !
    Stay warm.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo! I think Medicare will eventually pay part of the cost of hearing aids... (can't imagine why not), but I couldn't wait any longer (the bus analogy was pretty good - made me laugh - although really too true to be funny). You stay warm too!

      Delete
  2. This isn't boring or TMI, your readers are interested and happy for you Rian, good for you! I enjoyed reading about the leaves crunching, I need to notice things like that more. Please keep the updates coming. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do, Dug. Today's my first full day with them in and I have to admit that I don't even know they're there... except when I take my glasses or mask off and the hearing aids come with them (too many things behind my ears). Have to be careful.

      Delete
  3. It's wonderful to hear the aids help that much. I wonder if I don't have some hearing loss, but thus far haven't been tested. So far it doesn't seem that bad (to me, anyway). My health insurance from my previous employment does help with the payment - I don't believe our government health care does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, you will begin to notice any real loss when you have to constantly ask people to repeat what they said... or can't follow several people's conversation. That's great that your previous employment insurance will help when the time comes.

      Delete
  4. I am thrilled that they are working well for you, and hope they get better and better. Reduced hearing runs in my partner's family. His father was VERY deaf and refused to wear hearing aids and I can see some signs that my partner is struggling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand why people would not want to wear them. It makes a world of difference... and although nowadays they are practically invisible, I wouldn't care even if they showed.

      Delete
  5. I've had my hearing aids for almost a year now, and I do love them, although I take them out in the early evening and put them on the charger. That way I can let my ears rest for awhile and the sounds around me get soft. I remember the first time I heard the incredible number of birdsong that I had forgotten about! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only my first day wearing them, but I've already lowered the volume. I mean yesterday I could hear my clothes swishing as I walked and the water dripping in the faucets (to avoid frozen pipes) was really loud! But so far, I'm loving them too!

      Delete
  6. Good for you, I hope they work well and that you adjust quickly. I saw an audiologist yesterday for a second round of testing (I've been trying since July to see an ENT, but it's a long process ....). My hearing is still in normal range, but just barely for higher tones. He suggested that I be tested again in 5 years or sooner if I notice problems. From what he said, I figure I'll need hearing aids by or before 70. Anyway, good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I think my hearing had gotten progressively worse in the last 5 years. I suppose it's due to age (like everything else). Good luck seeing an ENT.

      Delete
  7. I find this very informative! I have mild hearing loss. They recommended I wait on hearing aids. But it seems like everyone is mumbling and I strain to hear the words over the background sounds on the television. It sounds like you found a very good doctor and office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I waited for about 5 years... but not sure that was a good idea. Apparently you shouldn't wait too long as the loss gets progressively worse.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you have an excellent ENT. I keep telling Art he needs new hearing aids because he's always saying, "What?" to me. He keeps balking though because he doesn't know what he wants to get. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, Kay. I was putting it off too... but when I read that hearing loss can lead to early dementia, I decided it was time to do something.

      Delete
  9. I used to put in my aids on days I went to class. Now that I go down for breakfast daily, I wear them all day every day, from 8 to 8. Good to take them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was told to keep them in 8 hours a day if possible... for your brain to adjust. So far I don't have any problem with this... although I did put the setting on lower.

      Delete
  10. Definitely not TMI, I enjoy reading about other people's experiences especially if it may be useful to me in the future. Sharing is caring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bobi. I think hearing about other people's experiences does help.

      Delete
  11. Congrats! Yes, simple sounds seem way too loud for awhile. After my cochlear implant I could hear the motor running on my fridge! But, I could hear the birdies in the trees, the blinkers on my car dashboard, and sirens of firetrucks before I saw them. You may want to try wearing them a few hours a day, increasing the number of hours, in order to let your brain get used to them. Write down little notes on a little pad, and the audiologist will adjust the program for them based on what you tell her. Yes, you can turn them down, especially if you don't like the surrounding noise. So, yes, you can instantly turn your spouse/ partner off, tee hee. Keep the reports coming! Store and charge them away from animals; they like to eat them. Don't sit them on the coffee table while you nap on the couch. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. She originally set the volume on 8, but although her voice was fine, my own voice was amplified too much when I spoke... so I set it on 6, then 4. Seems to be OK there. And I don't mind leaving them in for 8 hours - can't even tell I'm wearing them unless my ear itches or my glasses pull them off. And yes, she showed me how to 'turn off your spouse' (handy!). I have already started a list of questions for our next visit.

      Delete
  12. I'll have to keep up with your experiences. I'm sure I need hearing aides now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to update my experience with the hearing aids. It's only my second day, but so far I really like them. (I heard a loud squeaking sound this morning while watching something on TV and wondered if it was a timer going off... turns out it was a blue jay squawking in the backyard.

      Delete
  13. chucks hearing aids look much the same. i have great hearing, the only thing i have that's good. i could hear and ant fart down the block, that's how good it is!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...