Translate

Monday, January 15, 2024

too cold for me...

It's 11 F this morning and snowing. It's a light snow, so although it has stuck on the streets and lawns, I don't think it will continue. Inside we have heat and power, so no problem there. We don't have hot water due to having to let the faucets drip constantly to avoid frozen pipes. So I have to heat up water on the Aga to wash dishes (and ourselves).

I worried about the ferals last night as since this is the first time we've used both heat lamps and straw, I was concerned about fire, so turned the heat lamps off during the night when we couldn't keep an eye on them. But we turned them back on this morning and all seems well. 


straw put out for ferals 

2 of several using straw



feral waiting for breakfast 

ice from ferals' water bowls


OK, since we've basically stayed home these last few days due to the weather and/or preparing for the weather, I've spent my time doing things that needed to be done eventually. One of these was cleaning out the pantry for 2024. Here are a few pics of my newly organized (somewhat) pantry. Mostly I wiped down the shelves and threw out old out-dated stuff.




We don't use a lot of canned food... some soups (DH loves soups for lunch) but those are in the back cabinet in the laundry room... with staples like sugar and flour. And I use my cup cabinet to store my gluten-free items. Those bags hanging on the right I made to hold  potatoes. Inside the doors there's a calendar on the left and a grocery list on the right... which gets added to by anyone as needed.  

And this next pic is just me preparing to add veggies to a roast... but I wanted to show you the green bell peppers and red hatch pepper - as these were home-raised. We had to take the bell peppers in before the freeze even though they weren't very big yet. And the red hatch pepper came from our little hatch pepper bush which is still inside and doing well.



My other chores were dusting the front room (there are lots of shelves and knick-knacks so that takes a while) and cleaning out the shelf over the laundry room sink. I did get it all done and still had time to sit and read by the fire. So... all's well that ends well.

warming my feet by fireplace


Thanks for reading (nothing too exciting just excerps from my life). Hope  you stay warm and safe!


Hugs (virtual),

Rian




17 comments:

  1. Well done on the dusting and organising fronts. You put me to shame.
    And thank you (again) for your care of the ferals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, EC, there's a lot more I could do... but at least I got some things done.

      Delete
  2. It's still brutally cold here today and I'm so envious of your fireplace.
    Love the pantry too! It's nice to have a space like that. Mine is a closet with shelves and things tend to get lost at the back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, we made the pantry when we remodeled the kitchen in 2005. I love it! Sorry it's still brutally cold there. And I love our fireplace. It's where I spend the winter when it's really cold out.

      Delete
  3. Gosh, I'm jealous. So clean and organized! And your fire looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss Merry. The pantry won't stay organized long... but it's nice for a while.

      Delete
  4. The heat lamps and the straw was very thoughtful... and I do enjoy seeing an organized pantry! Nice work, Rian! You have a cozy home :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dug, the heat lamps and straw help a bit... but it's still awfully cold out there.

      Delete
  5. It's miserably cold here. Brrrr......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it is, Joanne. Stay inside and stay warm!

      Delete
  6. You're so kind to the critters. Is there a way you can place the heat lamp cords along the wall. I'd be concerned hanging cords could be tempting for cats to play with, then the lamps could fall and hit the hay. You have a wonderful little mini-barn for those kitties. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I worried about the cats and the lamp cords too... as the heat lamps are clamped up on a board. So I had DH actually tie the lamps to the board with heavy cord - so even if the clamps were pulled down, the cords would hold the lamps up.

      Delete
  7. i enjoy a post like this, i love to see how friends organize their homes and keep things clean. your pantry looks great!! your heart is filled with so much kindness for those ferals, it tells a lot about who you are!! we are staying in, we have lots of food and i have lots of projects and crafts to keep me busy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, glad to hear you say that. I enjoy these things too. My pantry won't stay organized long, but it will be nice for a while. The ferals do appreciate having a semi-warm place to go... and for whatever reason, I do worry about them. Glad you have lots of projects. I have some... not as many as you. Although I've been meaning to get back to knitting soon.

      Delete
  8. It sounds like you've taken care of any fire issues now. And sometimes worry, I think, is how we decide to fix problems before they occur. I love your pretty pantry and wish you could come here and fix up my kitchen! My hubby does a pretty good job of it, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our pantry isn't terribly big, but it works. When we remodeled the kitchen years ago we took the hall coat closet and opened it up into the kitchen to make the pantry... much more useful.

      Delete
  9. That looks great! Your pantry looks like ours did in Illinois. I miss that pantry. You've made me want to go through our supplies and clean up too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...