Translate

Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Starting 2024... with books and a Rx



Well, 2024 is here! 
And I have to say that I'm glad. Hope I continue to be glad as the year progresses. But... since 2020 through 2022 was a basic 'no go' and 2023 was a 'maybe it's really over', I have high  hopes for 2024 (remember that song, "High Hopes"?) 

The end of 2023 (the week after Christmas) had me with severe stomach pains, a doctor's visit, and a CT scan. Turns out I had a flare-up of Diverticulitis (not sure you call it a 'flare-up' when it was your first ever episode). I'm on a Rx now and all seems to be under control.  Have any of you had this diagnosis? My brother-in-law has had this condition for years and recently had surgery to correct this. However, I've been told that some cases (hopefully mine) never get that severe.




OK, enough of that. The next picture is one of my new books (given to me to read by a friend) for this month. I'm happy to sit in the afternoon with my cup of tea and surrounded by these books as I chose which one will be next. However, I'm still in the middle of 2 - 'Rusted Wasteland Steele Protector' (AI), and 'A Dangerous Place' (the  Maisie Dobbs series). Both good reads.


books to read


By the way, how many of you actually stayed up to watch the New Year come in? DH and I stayed up and watched the Ball drop in New York... and I made my MIL's home-made eggnog spiked up with a little bourbon. So we toasted in the New Year earlier than midnight.

Then on NY's Day I made our traditional pork roast, black-eyed peas, southern cabbage with bacon, and corn bread (while DH watched football on TV - although happily he cleaned up after I quit cooking to take a nap). And that to me signals the official end to the holidays (except for maybe taking down the Christmas tree which we will have to do this week - sadly). 

And I will say that as much as I do enjoy the magic of Christmas... and all that it entails, I am glad to see the end of it this year. Guess I'm showing my age, but all of it is a lot of hard work. Maybe it's time to slow it down and just make future holidays quieter. We'll see.

Oh, and you can see my 2 Nintendo Switches in the background with the books in the previous picture. I do still play Animal Crossing with my granddaughter, her mom, and a friend. We can each play from home and visit each other's islands. I'm not much for games in general, but have to admit that this game is well done and keeps my creative juices running.

Also... I'm finally checking into getting a hearing aid. My consultation (although we 've already consulted by phone) and appointment is later this month. I'm actually getting excited about it. Really tired of not hearing or catching the words in a conversation, asking people to repeat themselves, or just not following what is being said. Time to do something. And I read recently and it was confirmed by the Audiologist I spoke to that if one doesn't correct their hearing problem, there's evidence that this could lead to early dementia. That isn't good... so I'm going with getting it correctly sooner rather than later.

So, no NY's resolutions, but some plans for starting 2024 right... more books and a hearing aid! And if I can actually get myself going, more decluttering!! 

Here's a cartoon I thought was cute... and funny!



Hugs (virtually),
Rian




27 comments:

  1. I love Pickles, but I totally missed that one. That's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just showed the Pickles cartoon to Art and he LOVED it. He wears hearing aids too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have difficulty hearing 'timers', so I have to set the one on my iPhone as it's loud. But I don't think I'd miss hearing a vacuum cleaner...

      Delete
  3. That's a funny cartoon. I so enjoy my hearing aids and wear them faithfully every day. I love the rechargeable ones I got. I put them on the charger in the evening and they are ready to go in the morning! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the ones I'm supposed to get are rechargeable too, DJan. And I've been following your comments about your hearing aid and liked the fact that now you can hear the birds...

      Delete
  4. Love that cartoon. I do not used my hearing aids on the weekends, and had to write myself a big note on my walker tray to remember to put them in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do remember to put them in, Joanne... at least this is what I'm told. The more you use them, the less loss you will sustain (at least that what I was told).

      Delete
  5. I have heard of Diverticulitis. Sam - at https://self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com/ has been suffering from this and has some posts with how she is coping. She has not had to have surgery but was hospitalized , maybe that was how she was diagnosed? You might want to check her past posts. I'm sorry this happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss Merry. I will check out that blog.

      Delete
  6. Rian, your New Years dinner sounded awesome. My mom used to bake a pork roast too, the holiday may be over but I might pick one up at the market tomorrow! Hey I am very sorry to read about your diverticulitis. Is there some kind of test for that? It's been a couple of months since my last episode, but on occasion I get very severe stomach pains that last a couple hours. One time it was so severe I called 911 and went to the hospital, they did an ultrasound on my abdomen to see if my gallbladder was okay. Later, a friend told me he had Diverticulitis and that might be mine too. Anyway, the vacuum strip me laugh, here's to a healthier 2024. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The CT is what confirmed the diverticulitis, Dug. And I'm not sure what the difference is between an ultrasound and a Cat scan....or if there is a difference. But if you get those pains again, I would ask the doctor about diverticulitis. I don't have a gall bladder anymore, and these pains were different... much sharper and came in waves. And yes, here's to a happy healthy 2024!

      Delete
  7. I think the hearing aid will be a blessing for you, I am happy to have them, and yes, wearing hearing aids is linked to not getting dementia and to having fewer falls. Glad to hear your prescription is working, that was a scary flare up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, Terra. And yes, that flare-up was scary. I'm not one to get stomach aches or nausea, so this was a different experience. But hopefully the Rx is working... (although the pains went away before I started the Rx).

      Delete
  8. Poor you. My partner had one and only one attack of diverticulitis and spent months in hospital. I hope you can escape the worst.
    And hooray for being proactive and getting hearing aids. And reading. Which is an essential in my world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is pretty essential in my world too, EC...

      Delete
  9. i am glad you got a quick answer to your stomach pain, and some help none the less. it can be quite scary when you don't know what's happening. i'm glad you are feeling better. it looks like you are all set with books to read, good for you as i know you enjoy reading so much. we are expecting a snow storm this weekend, i am making sure i have enough projects to keep me busy. BUT they are saying it could be rain, i am hoping for snow!!

    the hubs has hearing aids and still can't hear. i clap my hands when i am going to talk and he turns my way. he reads my lips and 1/2 hears, so we are all good...for now!! hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true about lip reading I guess... as I do much better face to face (with hearing). Hope you get your snow (and not rain)! As for the stomach pain, it has not returned so far... and I will finish the Rx tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
    2. just checking in, i hope you are feeling better!! we did not get any snow!! boohoo!!

      Delete
  10. Goodness, the diverticulitis episode sounds horrid. I'm glad you were able to get a prescription and did not require surgery.
    That cartoon made me laugh. I know my hearing isn't as good as it once was - my son gets exasperated with me when he has to repeat himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know about asking people to repeat. Sometimes you just let it go... as you don't want to ask again.

      Delete
  11. Don has had bouts of diverticulitis but none lately. It's not much fun, or so I understand.

    Have a happy, healthy 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Olga. This was a first... and not much fun. Happy healthy 2024 to you and Don!

      Delete
  12. You're right. Christmas is a lot of work! This year we didn't put a tree up, or send cards or gifts or even gift cards. It was still a lot of work! I love the memories of Christmas, and I can replay them from my recliner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hearing aids have come a long way since our parents time. More accurate, more comfortable and less stigma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's true, Tabor... at least I hope so.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...