Translate

Tuesday, October 22, 2024

a different taste of senior living...



DH and I were invited to eat out with friends last week who recently moved into a Senior Living Community. They are very good friends and made the decision this summer to sell their house and move. They did a lot of research on the different 'Senior Living' available and came to the conclusion that this one was best due to location and amenities.

Apparently there are 4 restaurants on the premises and we met and had dinner at one. The food was very good. I had filet mignon which I hadn't had in a very long time - as well as garlic mashed potatoes and spinach. It seems you can pick a salad or soup, entree with 2 sides, as well as a drink and dessert.

After dinner we went to their apartment. It also was very nice... not large when compared to their house, but had all the necessary rooms (2 bedrooms, 2 baths, kitchen, nook, and living room). 

I guess some of the advantages of going this route is there is no lawn upkeep, no pool upkeep (they did have a pool at their house - now one is available without the upkeep), lunch and supper is available if desired, activities and doctors on site also... kind of a little village in itself... although the place itself is huge. 

Made me think. Could we do this? Would we want to? At the moment, I have to say no. I like my house. Next year we will have been here for 40 years. And I like my yard.  I'd miss the 'critters'... and we (so far) can still take care of our yard and house. But we're both 79... and I wonder sometimes if we shouldn't wait too late to downsize or whatever

Anyway, it gave us something to think about.  Maybe some of you have thought about it or possibly made the move yourself. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

 

And here's some pics of what the boys had for supper last night here at home:


put ham, turkey, cheese and bacon on croissant


rollup! (I put hot dog on some)


Finished sandwiches!

The guys really like them! (I can't eat them as the croissants aren't GF - but it doesn't matter as they are easy peasy to make)  


***

Early voting has begun... we voted by mail and tracked our ballots to make sure they were received. They were. Now it's just a matter of waiting to see how this (dare I say unprecedented - or just plain strange?) election turns out. I tend to feel that this one is going to be extremely important in determining how things go in the next 4 years. Never before have I felt both hope and fear in my heart for this event.


I did see this... and thought...  OK











And that's it for now... 

Hugs (virtual),
Rian

2 comments:

  1. I do consider moving into a retirement community at intervals. I am reluctant at the moment (I really like having a garden and visiting birds but maintaining it is becoming increasingly difficult.
    On the crazy world front both of my hands are firmly up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't considered a retirement community at this point - I'm only 65 (though had you asked me thirty years ago, I would have said that was ancient). I did, however, sell my house last year, and am now living part time with each of my children and travelling part-time. I have the benefit of yards and cats in both homes, but not nearly the amount of responsibility I once had. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...