Translate

Sunday, July 15, 2012

DH's birthday...


Today is DH's birthday.  Yes, our birthdays are 9 days apart.  The kids are coming over later. I'm making spaghetti and meatballs, salad, and cheese bread - simple.  DH picked out a white chocolate raspberry bundt cake with cream cheese icing for dessert.  It's very good as we've had it before... and no, I didn't make it.

I just finished reading "The Rope" by Nevada Barr.  Her books are intense.  She has the knack of making you feel like you're right there with her... in this case... at the bottom of a crevice (she called it a 'jar') at the mercy of a madman.  In 'Firestorm", you shared her panic as the forest fire flashed over the hole she dug in a dry creek and covered herself with some sort of fire retardant tarp.  If I remember correctly, the fire flashed over her... depending on its speed depended on whether or not she would be cooked.  And in "Blind Descent", you were trapped with her in the bottom of a pitch black cave with a killer on the loose.

I love her writing, but can't take it too much at a time. I prefer safe easy reading, 'cozy mysteries' that don't involve too much tension... ones I can fall asleep reading. 

Haven't done any knitting since this past winter.  I find this relaxing too (sometimes).  If I'm working on something that is new or difficult (for me), it's not so relaxing.  Just learned to make cables and baubles... and love the look.  Here is a picture of my first cables and baubles scarf.



Well, I'd better go get some things done since the kids are coming over later. Have a wonderful Sunday!

4 comments:

  1. I have not done baubles and it is many years since I even tried cable so I look at your piece with admiration. Happy Birthday to your DH ...the meal sounds perfect. When Hubby was alive and the kids younger, and at home ...the birthday person always chose the evening meal ...my son's was a steak ... every year ...he used to say forget the veggy and fries ... just give me a cow. lol
    Have a lovely evening. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, thanks for the encouragement. I'm not a great knitter, but the cables and baubles were fun...once I got the hang of it. You mentioned your son chosing steak. Well, my youngest son is a "meat and potatoes" guy and he married a "vegetarian" - go figure.

      Delete
  2. First, a very happy birthday to your DH. I hope he has a fabulous day, and so do my "boys!" I'd like to taste-test that cake...you know, just for quality control. :-)

    Second, I LOVE the scarf, the cables and baubles. Many years ago the woman who taught me to knit also tried to teach me to cable, but I didn't get the hang of it, didn't practice enough. So while I enjoy knitting, all I do is pretty basic stuff. I've actually always wanted to learn to crochet, but never have. I don't know anyone who does, who can show me. Written instructions or a video just aren't the same, IMO.

    Enjoy the birthday celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are rignt - instructions or a video won't do it for me either. I need to have someone right there directing my fingers (at least when I'm learning something new). I can do basic crochet and have done a few different borders, but that's about it. (I think you will find crochet actually easier than knitting)

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...